The Rest is an active Canadian musical group based in Hamilton, Ontario.
The Rest was formed in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in 2003. The group started as a sextet. During the recording of The Rest's first full-length album, a cellist joined the ensemble. The Rest's line-up has remained stable since the first recording.
The Rest's second full length album, Everyone All At Once, was declared one of the best albums of 2009 by over a dozen reviewers. In December 2009, second album song "Sheep in Wolves' Clothing" reached No. 2 on CBC Radio 3's Top 30. The Rest has been featured on BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 6, CBC Radio 3, NPR, and a variety of commercial and college radio stations. The Rest has toured extensively in Central Canada, and has headlined several showcases in the United States and Great Britain.
Before embarking on a third full-length album, The Rest put together Cried Wolf, a combination book and 4 song EP. The book is illustrated by visual artist MLXNDRSC.
In October 2010, The Rest announced that SEESAW, a third full-length album, would be released in 2011. "John Huston", the first track from SEESAW to be disseminated, was released in early October 2010. In September 2011, the band announced that although a hard drive glitch had temporarily deleted SEESAW, the album had been recovered by the people who recover the black boxes from crashed aeroplanes, and would be released in early 2012. SEESAW was officially released on June 19th, 2012. SEESAW was named Album of the Year at the 2012 Hamilton Music Awards.
Following a series of promotional videos and live promotional concert appearances in and around Hamilton and Toronto, The Rest officially disbanded in the summer of 2013. Adam Bentley has said that the time was right to put the band to bed, though the possibility of working with various members of the band in one form or another still exists.
- Adam Bentley – Vocals, Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Piano, Wurlitzer
- Anna Jarvis – Acoustic and Electric Cello, Banjo, Clarinet, Vocals
- Blake Bowman – Drums, Percussion, Vocals
- Dwayne Brydon – Electric Guitar, Wurlitzer, Glockenspiel, Vocals
- Jordan Mitchell – Piano, Rhodes, Synthesizer, Electric Guitar, Trumpet, Air Organ, Hammond B3, Kaoss Pad, Percussion, Vocals
- Matty Buzanko – Bass Guitar
- Steve Jones – Electric Guitar, Harmonica, Vocals
- Atlantis, Oh Our Saviour (2007)
- Everyone All At Once (Canadian and British release, 2009; worldwide, 2010)
- SEESAW (2012)
EPs and Singles
- Apples and Allergies (2008)
- Cried Wolf (2010)
- Always On My Mind/The Last Day double A side (2011)
- Everybody Dance Now: Songs From Hamilton Vol. 3 (2008)
- Sing Me to Sleep: Indie Lullabies (2010)
- Better Pop Music (2010)
- Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to The Smiths (2011)
- Official Website
- at Myspace