Read I Corinthians 12:4 -I Cor 12:13, and v31
· The Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity (3rd person)
o Genesis 1:1-2
o John 14:15-17
o Matthew 28:19
· The Holy Spirit is a person, (I Cor 12:11 (NASB95)-
o The Spirit is alive
o The same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
· We cannot the limit the gifts that the Holy Spirit gives (Paul used the word Manifestation to describe the gifts in I Cor 12:7).
o A listing of spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 mentions wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, speaking in tongues, and interpretation of tongues. See also - Isaiah 11:2-3
o Comparable gifts are discussed in Ephesians 4:7-13,
o Romans 12:3-8.
o I Peter 4:11
o I Cor 12:28-30
o The Holy Ghost is often also called the Holy Spirit or the Spirit of the Lord. Galatians 5:22–23 teaches on fruit of the Spirit
o John 14:15-26 describes what the Holy Spirit does
· Gifts mentioned in I Cor 12
o Effecting of miracles
o Distinguishing of spirits,
o To another various kinds of tongues,
o To another the interpretation of tongues.
· Gifts are not ended with the New Testament writing. In my opinion the lack of Faith affects the action of these gifts.
o Matt 9:29 .....It shall be done to you according to your faith.”
o Matt 17:20 And He *said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith [fn]the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
· I Cor 13:8 was not indicating gifts will end (and as bible scholars have indicated), but that when Jesus comes these gifts are no longer necessary. It would not make sense that some gifts ended earlier in time, yet others did not. Remember Paul continually says the one Holy Spirit gives the Gifts as He wills…
o 1Co 13:8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
o I Cor 13;10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
§ The “Perfect” is referring to the return of Jesus Christ.
· The reason for giving the gifts-dysfunctional body not working together-diminishes the gifts
o 1: Cor 12: 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
o V. 28-29 “Appointed to the Church” so that the body of Christ (us) may be elevated.
o We do not work together, but trying to edify ourselves and be more important than someone else.
· Desire the Greater gifts: 1 Cor 12:32
o V. 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show you a still more excellent way.
o Paul in Chapters 11-13 of 1 Corinthians, continues his theme that we are to Love one another. This is the more excellent way….Love
§ The reason we do not see the Power of the Holy Ghost is because we do not have Love for each other as God directs us to Love