Insulin resistance is a main driver of cardiovascular disease that we don’t hear enough about. Paying attention to our sugar and starch intake, eating plenty of healthy fats and vegetables, and getting enough exercise can all dramatically improve our insulin sensitivity and reduce our risk of heart disease and other metabolic issues.
For the next few weeks, I’ll be featuring in-depth episodes from my Longevity Roadmap docu-series. Today, we’re talking all about heart health. Throughout this episode, you’ll learn everything you need to know about preventing and treating cardiovascular disease from a functional perspective, from innovative testing to at-home lifestyle changes.
To get all of my longevity tips, sign up for my weekly Longevity newsletter at drhyman.com/longevity.
In this series, I am joined by my colleagues at The UltraWellness Center: Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD, Medical Director and Physician; Todd LePine, MD, Physician; and George Papanicolaou, DO, Physician.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers, Cozy Earth, and Rupa Health.
BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains seven different forms of magnesium, all of which have different functions in the body. There is truly nothing like it on the market. Go to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and use code hyman10 at checkout for 10% off your next order.
Cozy Earth makes the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code MARK40.
Rupa Health is a place where Functional Medicine practitioners can access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, and Great Plains. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Why cardiovascular disease is not just about heart health (4:44 / 1:35)
- The true role of cholesterol in cardiovascular disease (7:58 / 4:35)
- What causes inflammation? (12:53 / 9:40)
- Are statin drugs effective for the prevention of heart disease? (14:28 / 11:21)
- Habits to prevent heart disease (18:27 / 15:14)
- The dangers of insulin resistance (20:23 / 17:00)
- The importance of LDL cholesterol particle size (24:19 / 19:45)
- What is insulin resistance? (31:47 / 27:18)
- Markers of inflammation (35:55 / 31:21)
- Four behaviors that reduce your risk of disease (49:54 / 45:44)
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.