Manu Delago (born 31 July 1984) is an Austrian Hang player, percussionist and composer based in London.
Manu Delago was born in Tyrol, Innsbruck, and took music lessons as a child in accordion and piano. As a 14-year-old, he played drums for various rock bands, and in 2003 his rock band HotchPotch won the Austrian Band Contest. During the same period, Delago was also drumming for Austrian pop idol Starmania winner Michael Tschuggnall.
After graduating from the Mozarteum, Innsbruck, in classical percussion, Delago moved to London and studied jazz drums at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama, beginning his focus on the Swiss instrument Hang. He took arranging and orchestration lessons with Scott Stroman and Matthew King which led him to study composition at the Trinity College of Music in London. After completing his studies, he worked as a composer, ensemble leader and musician. Since 2007 he has performed internationally in more than twenty countries on five continents and provided music for film.
In 2006 Manu Delago and Christoph Pepe Auer founded the first Hang and Bass Clarinet duo in the world called Living Room. The duo has released two albums and performed in London, Berlin, Madrid, Vienna, Budapest, Timișoara (Festivalul Plai), Zimbabwe, Canada, USA, Mauritius and China. In the project "Living Room in London", they were joined by a string trio from London, including Ellie Fagg, Tom Norris and Gregor Riddell.
Manu Delago Handmade features a versatile trio with a notable dynamic spectrum. In this band, Delago is joined by Isa Kurz (vocals, violin, piano) and Philipp Moll (bass, electronics). Delago has also collaborated with artists including Shpongle, Bugge Wesseltoft, Didier Lockwood, Giannis Charoulis, Stuart McCallum, Cevanne Horrocks-Hopayian, Boris Grebenshikov, Georg Breinschmid, Wolfgang Puschnig and Björk. His solo piece Mono Desire was listed in the Top30 best-rated music videos on Youtube.
Manu Delago is the percussionist and hang player for the Björk Biophilia residencies in 2011 and has performed in Manchester and Reykjavík.
- 2013 – Manu Delago – Bigger Than Home
- 2010 – Living Room (Christoph Pepe Auer & Manu Delago) – Colouring Book
- 2010 – Manu Delago - Made in Silence 2
- 2008 – Manu Delago - Adventions
- 2007 – Manu Delago Handmade
- 2007 – Christoph Pepe Auer & Manu Delago – Living Room
- 2006 – Manu Delago – Made in Silence
- 2013 - The Epiphany of Mrs Kugla - Shpongle
- 2010 - Dream #71 - Georg Breinschmid
- 2009 - Nothing is something worth doing - Shpongle
- 2009 - Live in Concert - Shpongle (DVD)
- 2008 - Arigato - Boris Grebenshikov
- 2008 - The Next Step Show (DVD)
- 2007 - Reich - Bluatschink
- 2011 - Chaos_Equalibrium (string quartet & dance)
- 2010 - Why does one hide from six? (dice game for mixed ensemble)
- 2009 - Pencilphonie No. 1 in Hb2 (a self-portrait for pencil, eraser & sharpener)
- 2009 - Los Cepillos de Dientes (music for 2 acoustic toothbrushes)
- 2009 – 5 ft 12 (marimba solo)
- 2007 - If you’re really right, will be proved by the light (3 players on 2 marimbas)