A few weeks ago an article came out that stirred up a lot of conversation within dietitian circles titled “The Unbearable Whiteness and Fatphobia of Anti-Diet Dietitians” Written by Marquisele Mercedes, this article touched on the history of the body positive movement, how it’s been appropriated by thin, white dietitians, the racist roots of fatphobia, and a lot more. It’s one of the best articles we’ve read on body positivity, and today we’re having a conversation with the author.
In This Episode We’ll Cover:
• Why Marquisele decided to write the article
• The history of the body positive movement and its social justice roots
• Ways in which the anti-diet movement has become exclusionary & problematic
• The problematic ways the academy of nutrition promotes elitist, fatphobic, and culturally insensitive nutrition recommendations
• Beauty standards within POC communities and the role privilege plays in all of this
• How to center the voices of people in larger bodies + MORE!
3 Ways You Can Support This Podcast:
• Support our sponsors using our unique ‘HOOKUP’ codes below
• Simplemills.com and use code HEAVEN20 for 20% off purchase
For our resources and shownotes, visit foodheavenmadeeasy.com/podcast
Produced by Dear Media