*Rebroadcast* (originally aired 7/10/19)
As part of Mental Health Awareness month, we are re-airing the episode when Kimi revealed to the world that she has bipolar disorder and that she had kept her diagnosis a secret for two decades.
Kimi's life was changed when this episode first aired. She let go of shame and secrecy and allowed herself to be fully seen. Kimi has helped dozens of families navigate their own mental health journeys over the past three years. Finding the courage to discuss the thing she was most ashamed of made this possible.
In this episode you'll learn:
- After graduating from college, Kimi lands an internship with CNN covering Columbine paving the way for her first journalism gig at NBC news.
- Kimi becomes a road warrior, traveling the country working as a booker for Good Morning America, and eventually moving on to The Oprah Winfrey show where she honed her skills as a storyteller.
- Kimi produces Gleason, a documentary about her friends Steve and Michelle Gleason and their daily life together after Steve’s terminal ALS diagnosis.
- Kimi reveals that at 19 years old she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder
- What is bipolar? What are the symptoms, and how is it treated?
- How bipolar has impacted her kids and family
- The stigma of mental illness and the consequences of secrecy
- Self care, staying well, and starting All The Wiser
Subscribe to All The Wiser wherever you listen to podcasts - we’re on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and more! That way you’ll never miss an episode.
We’d love to hear what you think about the show, too - it helps us know what stories are resonating with you. Head over to Apple Podcasts to write your review!
Stay in the know with all things All The Wiser! Sign up for our newsletter for personal reflections from Kimi, new episodes, and recommendations from our team!
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.