She was being kidnapped. It took a while for that reality to set in. As an aid worker in Somalia, Jessica Buchanan was not supposed to be a target, but there was a lot of clan fighting in the southern part of the country, resources were scarce, and ransom demands could be sky high. What does it take to survive being held hostage under the worst imaginable conditions for weeks that turn into months? Jessica shares how to be the hero of your story and use any life-defining moment to show you what you’re made of.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Her moment of self-abandonment.
- Being abducted by Somali Pirates in October 2011.
- The routine and days of being a prisoner.
- How her mom, who passed just before the kidnapping, was able to help her.
- Being rescued by SEAL Team Six and her reintegration process.
- Life after she returned home and how she’s using this experience to build community.
Subscribe to All The Wiser wherever you listen to podcasts - we’re on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and more! That way you’ll never miss an episode.
We’d love to hear what you think about the show, too - it helps us know what stories are resonating with you. Head over to Apple Podcasts to write your review!
Stay in the know with all things All The Wiser! Sign up for our newsletter for personal reflections from Kimi, new episodes, and recommendations from our team!
Today's episode is sponsored by All The Happier, a new online course inspired by the lessons you hear on the podcast.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.