Can I Get Interest on Past Due Child Support?
Tennessee Family Law Questions & Answers · 10 minutes ·

Can I Get Interest on Past Due Child Support?

In Tennessee, every parent has an obligation to support their children. When parents are unmarried and/or not living together, one parent will usually be required to pay child support to the other parent. But what happens if the parent obligated to pay child support misses one or more payments?

In Tennessee, the law imposes twelve percent interest on past due child support payments. Child support is considered late if it is not paid on the day it is due. In addition, the past due child support becomes a judgment against the person who owes the child support. That judgment carries 12% interest and the interest itself becomes child support.

Things to keep in mind: 

  • Child support is for the benefit of the child – not the parents
  • If you are required to pay child support through the state of Tennessee and instead pay directly to the other parent, you do not get credit for those payments
  • Make sure that any judgment you obtain for child support arrearages includes the interest, if not, you will not be able to claim it latter


Child Support Interest Calculator 

Child Support Calculator

Tennessee Child Support Handbook

Comments (0)

You Must Be Logged In To Comment

Similar podcasts

Past Due

Past of Interest

Way Past Due

Past Due Audio Series

Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Get Rich Education

Can I Get It Off My Chest?

Can I get that software in blue?