Your vegan kids need iron to support their growth and development. And if you’re already saying “C’mon Karla, I knew that already”. Well, hear me about because not all vegan parents focus their attention on this crucial nutrient during childhood.
In today’s episode, I’m sharing three simple yet proven strategies that can instantly help your vegan child meet their iron needs so that you have peace of mind that you’re doing the right things in feeding your kids a vegan diet.
Here’s what we cover:
>> How iron helps support a vegan child’s growth
>> The prevalence of iron deficiency anemia during childhood
>> Why meal planning around legumes is important
>> How vitamin C helps with iron absorption
>> Can using a cast iron pot help?
- Alexy, U., Fischer, M., Weder, S., Längler, A., Michalsen, A., Sputtek, A., & Keller, M. (2021). Nutrient Intake and Status of German Children and Adolescents Consuming Vegetarian, Vegan or Omnivore Diets: Results of the VeChi Youth Study. Nutrients, 13(5), 1707. doi:10.3390/nu13051707
- Alves, C., Saleh, A., & Alaofè, H. (2019). Iron-containing cookware for the reduction of iron deficiency anemia among children and females of reproductive age in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review. Plos One, 14(9). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0221094
- Anemia in Children and Teens: Parent FAQs. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chronic/Pages/Anemia-and-Your-Child.aspx
- Baroni, L., Goggi, S., & Battino, M. (2019). Planning Well-Balanced Vegetarian Diets in Infants, Children, and Adolescents: The VegPlate Junior. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 119(7), 1067-1074. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2018.06.008
- Janus, J., & Moerschel, S. (2010). Evaluation of Anemia in Children. American Academy of Family Physicians, 81(12), 1462-1471.
- Messina, V., & Mangels, A. R. (2001). Considerations in Planning Vegan Diets. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 101(6), 661-669. doi:10.1016/s0002-8223(01)00167-5
- Sharieff, W., Dofonsou, J., & Zlotkin, S. (2008). Is cooking food in iron pots an appropriate solution for the control of anaemia in developing countries? A randomised clinical trial in Benin. Public Health Nutrition,11(9), 971-977. doi:10.1017/s1368980007001139