BALANCING CONVENTIONAL & SACRED MEDICINE with LISSA RANKIN, MD
“I am not in the scientific materialism camp, and I am not in the new age camp. I am trying to be the camp of no camp. There is no reason we need to choose either conventional medicine or sacred medicine.” – Dr. Lissa Rankin [11:01]
“Be on the lookout for agendas dressed up in a holy drag.” – Dr. Lissa Rankin [26:30]
Have you ever wondered what really makes us sick? And how we really heal? Why do some people with the healthiest lifestyles get tragically, chronically or terminally ill? While others with bad habits get a disability free life until they’re 100?
In this episode, we talk with Dr. Lissa Rankin, MD, a medical doctor who has asked and deeply reseached all those questions in her new book, Sacred Medicine: A Doctor's Quest to Unravel the Mysteries of Healing. Dr Rankin is a mind body medicine physician, author of seven books, and the founder of Whole Health Medicine Institute in the San Francisco Bay area of California, for physicians and health care providers who seek a transformative complement to traditional medical education. She researches radical remission, trauma informed medicine and spiritual healing.
Her TEDx talks have been viewed over 5 million times and she starred in two national public television specials, Heal Yourself: Mind Over Medicine, and The Fear Cure. Lissa interest in the link between loneliness and disease has led her to spearhead her latest project, Heal At Last, a not-for-profit organization, which aims to bring effective trauma healing, and spiritual healing methods to anyone ready for the deep dive of healing.
Listen in to hear Dr. Lissa Rankin bridge between conventional medicine and sacred healing.
Topics We Discuss:
- [4:33] Dr. Rankin experiences led her to her research. Her father was a medical doctor invested in conventional medicine, and her mother was a, religious and fundamentalist. Her own medical education was academic, dogmatic and rigorous.
- [11:17] Trauma treatment can heal physical disease.
- [19:21] No fault trauma. No blaming the victim. Even the people who traumatized you were traumatized themselves. The paradoxes of healing – you’re not responsible for your disease and you are in charge of your healing. It’s nuanced.
- [21:30] Thoughts do influence our reality but do not control our reality. Distorted magical thinking is a trauma system.
- [26:30] Why Dr. Rankin warns, “Be on the lookout for agendas dressed up in a holy drag.”
- [31:45] How can we know when we are pushing our own agenda vs. tapping into higher level intuition of the wise, divine self?
- [37:40] Emotions are full of energy and information. For example, anger can protect and defend boundaries.
- [39:39] Spiritual bypassing. Falsely spiritualizing conflict avoidance. Using spirituality to avoid trauma and suppress pain. Misusing altered states. Often practiced by the boundary wounded.
- [47:14] Premature forgiveness. Critical thinking in and around forgiveness. Legitimate forgiveness can follow if accountability and justice, results in genuine remorse and regret. But that is uncommon.
- [50:01] Abuse in the self-help industry and alternative healing arena. The importance of critical thinking when evaluating practitioners.
- [55:57] The power of sacred sites. Reference renegade scientist Rupert Sheldrake. Morphic resonance.
- [1:04:13] Dr. William Bengston’s rigorous scientific research using hands-on healing to cure cancer in mice under controlled laboratory conditions.
- [1:08:44] A ghost story embedded in an episode! Dr. Rankin’s own extraordinary experiences around her own mom’s funeral.
- [1:18:45] Dr. Rankin answers Amy’s speed round questions:
- Spirituality means…
- What is something most people don’t know about you?
- What are you looking forward to right now?
- What is one thing you are deeply grateful for?
- What book is on your nightstand?
- What is your favorite spiritual or healing practice?
- What is the most transformative experience of your life?
- [1:21:16] The many modes of healing available to mental health and other struggles…
FOLLOW DR. LISSA RANKIN
Find Dr. Rankin’s titles wherever books are sold. You can follow Dr. Rankin at her website.
SUPPORT DR. AMY ROBBINS:
If you’re enjoying the podcast and finding value in guest interviews, ghost stories, and the content I share, please consider supporting the show by becoming a Patreon member for as little as $5 a month at Patreon.com/DrAmyRobbins
As a member you’ll get more say in the content we cover and exclusive access to behind-the-scenes goodness!
Stay Connected with Dr. Amy Robbins: