This month on Down The Garden Path, we're exploring "Gardening Beyond the Basics." Learn more about how to create a low-maintenance garden and straw bale gardening. Get tips on how to create unusual container combinations and discover new and wonderful plants for your landscape. This episode kicks off our month-long discussion about how to take your gardening to the next level.
Tune into this week's podcast to learn more about low-maintenance gardening.
Some of the topics we discuss:
- Make garden beds larger: Counterintuitive but reduces constant trimming and pruning.
- Move away from perennials to dwarf shrubs: A lot of options for small shrubs that require less maintenance and usually more seasonal interest.
- Stick to repetition: Decrease the variety of plants but increase the quantity. It's much easier to look after five types of plants planted in impact groups than trying to maintain 15 or more different varieties in the same space.
- Use hedges: Evergreen hedges are perfect for defining space and creating a year-round green edge for your yard and garden. They distract from the bottom of larger shrubs and trees and no one else will see the weeds hidden behind.
- Ask for help: Sometimes you need a fresh perspective and that is something that a garden professional can provide. For a small investment, you can have a professional look at the big picture, long term use of space. It will pay off in the long run.
- Use a qualified contractor: If you think it is expensive to hire a professional then wait until you hire an amateur.
Join us in May for more "Gardening Beyond the Basics" themed podcasts:
- 11th - Container Gardening
- 18th - Straw Bale Gardening
Each week on Down The Garden Path, professional landscape designers Joanne Shaw and Matthew Dressing discuss down-to-earth tips and advice for your plants, gardens and landscapes. We do our best to bring you interesting, relevant and helpful topics to help you keep your garden as low maintenance as possible.