On 1st July 2019 Shona left the comfort and safety of her life in the UK to fly to Seattle. After a busy couple of days sorting out food supplies, Shona started her Pacific Crest Trail hike on the 4th of July.
The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is a 2,650 mile long distance walking trail in the U.S.A. Shona hiked south bound, starting at the Canadian Border – walking through the States of Washington, Oregon and California – until she reached the Mexican Border.
Shona carried all of her kit and camping gear, she passed through towns about once a week to pick up a food resupply, shower, charge her phone etc. It took Shona just under 5 months to completed and she finished in late November 2019.
Why this challenge?
Four years ago, Shona approached her 40th birthday, and admitted to herself that she wasn’t living the life she wanted and she wasn’t doing the adventures she’d dreamed off. She’d been waiting for her circumstances to change but changing they were not.
Shona decided it was time to stop putting her life on hold and take action. Shona hiked the PCT knowing it would be hard. So hard that she’d want to quit many times. But she also knew that she’d love it and be changed by it.
During this podcast episode Shona shares more about her PCT journey and answers questions from the Tough Girl Tribe. Shona also provides top tips and advice to help you make sure you are living the life of your dreams.
- Catching up with Shona
- Brief introduction
- Heading out to America to start the trail
- Getting food boxes sorted at the start
- Heading out to the monument
- Starting the trail on the 4th July 2019
- How easy was it to do the food boxes in advance
- Having a plan for the start
- The first night….
- Walking 30 miles to reach the start line!
- Why it was so busy SOBO
- What it was like….and why it was a relief
- Being nervous at the start and wanting to make big miles
- Being worries about not being fast enough
- Dealing with the wet and cold
- The time pressure of going SOBO
- The first 500 miles of Washington State
- Having rules on the trail
- Intentionally walking alone and being present
- The challenging moments on the trail
- Documenting the journey
- Thinking the journey was going to be over
- Asking for help when it was needed
- Learning that you don’t have to do everything on your own
- Understanding why people do quit the trail
- Trail name - My Sherona….
- The Sierra Mountains and the fear of the snow
- Hating the cold
- Trail Family
- River crossings…
- Getting to the finish
- Being 20 miles from the border
- Human kindness
- Funding for a thru hike
- Raising funds for charity - Mikey’s Line
- Is there going to be a book??
- Life changing?
- Advice and tips for you to achieve your own personal dreams
Listen to the first episode with Shona - Taking on new challenges at 40 & her preparation for thru hiking the Pacific Crest Trail - SOBO in 2019!
Website - www.shonafitness.co.uk
Facebook - @shonamacphersoncoaching
Instagram - @walkwildcoach