The choices we make in life about our diet, physical activity, and other daily habits can have a profound impact on our health while increasing the risk of developing cancer or other chronic diseases. It is very important to go in for regular cancer screening tests. Screening tests are very helpful in finding cancer in people who show no symptoms. There are a number of cancer screening tests in Gurgaon which are beneficial to people. Regular screening is the best chance of detecting cancer early before it has spread and when it can still be treated.
Healthy habits to avoid diseases
- If you are a smoker or use different kinds of tobacco products, make sure to stop immediately. It is also essential to stay away from secondhand smoke. Using tobacco products as well as being exposed to smoke may cause cancer and also lead to many other health problems.
- Keep a check on your weight as being overweight or obese may increase the risk for different kinds of cancer. People can control their weight with healthy eating and getting physically active.
- If you are overweight, it is best to try and get to a healthy weight and maintain it. Losing weight has many health benefits. Controlling the portion sizes, especially for foods that are high in fat and sugar is essential for weight control. Eat vegetables, fruits, and whole grains for weight loss.
- Indulge in moderate physical activity. During moderate activities, there will be an increase in heart rate and breathing. We should limit the amount of time that is spent either sitting or lying down.
- Follow a healthy eating pattern and a diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and limit or avoid red and processed meats, sugary food and drinks, and highly processed foods. Consume alcohol moderately.
Why are cancer screening tests essential?
The main objective of any cancer screening test is the early detection of cancer. In case cancer is found early, it may be easier to treat and manage. Successful detection of cancer before it spreads in the body can lower a person’s risk of dying. If a person has more risk factors for cancer, such as family history, gender, age, etc., they will benefit from cancer screening tests.
What cancer screening tests in Gurgaon are available?
The doctor may perform a physical exam, various lab tests, and imaging procedures, as well as genetic tests in a cancer screening test. Some of the general cancer screening tests in Gurgaon include the following -
- Mammogram – It is an X-ray of the breast which is used to identify breast cancer at the early stages. Regular mammograms can lower a person’s risk of dying from breast cancer.
- Breast MRI - This captures pictures of the breast. It will mostly be used along with a mammogram on women who are at high risk for breast cancer.
- Breast Exam – It is a common cancer screening test where the doctor will perform a physical test to check for lumps on the breast.
- Pap Test - With a Pap test, doctors collect samples from the cervix and surrounding area which are then tested for any abnormal cells. In some cases, the doctors will do an HPV test along with a Pap test in the cancer screening test.
- PSA - A PSA blood test is performed for detecting prostate cancer in men. It is only done on men who are at high risk for prostate cancer, and it is done along with a rectal exam.
- Colonoscopy and Sigmoidoscopy - A colonoscopy will evaluate the whole colon, while a sigmoidoscopy looks at the left side only. They can detect polyps, which have the potential to develop into colon cancer.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test A fecal occult blood test is used for checking blood in the stool, which can detect any polyps or colon cancer.
- CT Scan Low-dose computed tomography – This is also called a low-dose CT scan, which is used to screen for lung cancer. An X-ray machine will scan and provide images of the lungs.
- Skin Exam - With a skin exam, the doctor is able to look for any unusual looking spots or changes in the skin. They are quite often recommended for people who are at risk for skin cancer.
Are all cancer screening tests effective?
Although cancer screening tests have been effective in saving the lives of people, not all screening tests are beneficial, and some of them can pose serious risks. Some cancer screening tests can produce inaccurate results. A false positive will lead to stress and anxiety. On the other hand, a false negative will lead to unnecessary treatments.
Cancer screening tests are tests that can detect cancer in seemingly healthy people or people who show no signs or symptoms of cancer. Cancer screening tests in Gurgaon help you find cancers at the early stages when they are more manageable and treatable.