«Deep Sea Arcade» - biography, albums, songs, video clips
Deep Sea Arcade are a five-piece indie rock band from Sydney, Australia.
Deep Sea Arcade began as a songwriting and home recording project for founding members and schoolmates Nic McKenzie and Nick Weaver when they were in their midteens. After years developing a large catalogue of demo recordings McKenzie and Weaver recruited guitarists Tim Chamberlain and Simon Relf and drummer Carlos Adura to complete the band's line-up.
In 2008, the band's first single "Crouch End" gained support from radio stations Triple J and FBi. They then won the Hopetoun Homebake Incentive competition and were given a slot on the 2008 Homebake festival bill.
The following single "Don't Be Sorry" received significant airplay on Triple J as well and was included on their 2009 debut, the Don't Be Sorry EP, released on record label Speak N Spell. The EP tracks were recorded both at home and at Sydney's BJB Studios with producer Simon Berkfinger (Philadelphia Grand Jury).
In September 2010, the band released the single "Keep on Walking" on 7" vinyl and played a sold-out headline show at the Oxford Art Factory in Sydney to launch it. UK record label New Music Club released the 7" vinyl single in May 2011.
The band were named as one of three finalists in the 2010 SOYAs (Spirit of Youth Awards) in recognition of excellence in music along with Cloud Control and Kyu, who were the eventual recipients of the award.
The band signed to Sydney label Ivy League Records in 2011 and toured the UK and Spain where they played the Primavera Festival in Barcelona, Spain and The Great Escape Festival in Brighton, UK. They released the single "Girls" in September 2011 in Australia ond October 2011 in the UK. "Girls" received airplay on UK station BBC Radio 1 and was placed on high rotation at Triple J.
Deep Sea Arcade regularly headline their own shows in Australia and have toured with Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Charlatans, Modest Mouse, Megan Washington, Cloud Control, Kaiser Chiefs and Seekae.
The band released their debut album Outlands on 16 March 2012 on Ivy League Records. The band's song Steam was on the American tv drama series 90210.
After appearing at a number of UK festivals earlier in 2013 including Secret Garden Party, The Great Escape, Where The Wild Things Are (Netherlands) and Live At Leeds, Deep Sea Arcade announced a national headline tour throughout Australia in September/October 2013 titled the 'Welcome Home / Black Cat' tour.
Released on 23 August 2013, 'Black Cat' is the first taste from Deep Sea Arcade's sophomore record (to be released 2014). Recorded and mixed by UK producer/engineer Dan Grech-Marguerat (Lana Del Rey, The Vaccines, The Kooks), the track melds the trademark sound of Deep Sea Arcade’s debut record with newly found influences from their travels throughout the UK.
- Nic Mckenzie – vocals, keyboards
- Nick Weaver – bass
- Simon Relf – guitar
- James Manson– guitar
- Tim Chamberlain - guitar
- Carlos Adura – drums
- Lowlands Festival - Biddinghuizen, Netherlands (2013)
- Noorderzon Festival - Groningen, Netherlands (2013)
- Big Day Out - Sydney, Australia, (2013)
- Peats Ridge Festival, Glenworth Valley, NSW, Australia, (2012)
- Reeperbahn Festival - Hamburg, Germany, (2012)
- San Miguel Primavera Sound – Barcelona, Spain (2011)
- The Great Escape Festival – Brighton, UK (2011)
- Peats Ridge Festival – Glenworth Valley, NSW, Australia, (2010)
- Homebake – Sydney (2008)
- Outlands Tour - Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium - (2012)
- Girls Tour - England (2011)
- Lonely In Your Arms 7" Tour - Spain, England (2011)
- Outlands Album Tour – June 2012
- Girls Single Tour – November 2011
- Washington support – May 2011
- Co-headline with Surf City – February, 2011
- Outlands (16 March 2012, Ivy League Records)
- Outlands (vinyl) (19 June 2012, Microfiche Records)
- "Black Cat" (23 August 2013, Independent)
- "Seen No Right" (30 May 2012, Ivy League Records)
- "Steam" (13 February 2012, Ivy League Records)
- "Girls" (26 September 2011, Ivy League Records)
- "Keep on Walking" (2010)
- Don't Be Sorry EP (2009)
- "Crouch End" (2008)