Chandeen (/ʃænˈdiːn/ SHAN-deen) is a musical project from Frankfurt am Main, founded in 1990 and popular in the darkwave scene in the first half of the 1990s. The band refers to its own style as "Electronic poetry". From the middle of the 1990s, the band's style changed to a more pop-oriented sound with influences from rock and trip hop.
Chandeen was founded in 1990 by Harald Löwy and Oliver Henkel, who had been working on musical experiments together from the winter of 1989. The name comes from a pet iguana owned by a friend of Löwy. In 1991 Aline Akbari joined, and additional singer Antje Schulz joined in 1992.
After two cassette releases, they came to the attention of Hyperium Records head Oliver Rösch, who signed them. Aline Akbari left the group shortly before the signing and was replaced by Catrin Mallon. Under this lineup they recorded their first two full-lengths, Shaded by the Leaves and Jutland.
In the process of the studio work for Jutland, internal differences arose between the members, and Catrin Mallon and Oliver Henkel left the group in 1994. The pair went on to collaborate on the project Edera, which produced only one album (1996's Ambiguous) before dissolving.
New singer Stephanie Härich joined for the 1995 EP Light Within Time, taking Mallon's place. She had previously worked with Harald Löwy on the project Incept Date, singing background vocals on their Archipelago album in 1994.
After several releases on Hyperium, the group separated from that label and began releasing on Synthetic Symphony, a sublabel of SPV GmbH. Their 1998 single "Skywalking" was broadcast on MTV Europe and VIVA, and the band made appearances on NBC Giga, but the exposure did not bring them widespread success.
Harald Löwy created his own independent label, Kalinkaland, in 2001, which became the primary vehicle for the release of Chandeen's music. Several further releases followed before the group broke up. In 2007 Löwy reactivated the project, releasing a new album, Teenage Poetry, in 2008. Julia Beyer joined for this release.
- Julia Beyer - vocals, songwriting
- Harald Löwy - music, production, songwriting
- Mike Brown - music, production, songwriting (†2012)
- Aline Akbari - vocals, songwriting (1991–93)
- Catrin Mallon - vocals, songwriting (1993–94)
- Stephanie Härich - vocals, songwriting (1995–2002)
- Oliver Henkel - music (1990–2004)
- Antje Schulz - vocals, songwriting (1992–2004)
- Michael Schwalm - management, photography, artwork, production
- Dorothea Hohnstedt - flute
- Ion Javelin - vocals, songwriting
- Harald Gottschalk - guitar
- Florian Walther - guitar
- Axel Henninger - guitar, production
- Antje Buchheiser - programming
- Phillip Ritmannperger - drums (for live performances)
- Steve Roach - remixer (1995)
- Daniel Myer - remixer (1998)
- Steffen Keth - remixer (2002)
- Klive Humberstone - remixer (2002)
- Nigel Humberstone - remixer (2002)
- Anji Bee - vocals, songwriting (2008)
Albums & EPs
Singles & Maxis
- – Homepage of the band
- at Discogs
- at Allmusic
- at MichaelFloydsMusic