Daniel Phillip Henney (Hangul: 다니엘 필립 헤니; born November 28, 1979) is an American actor and model, known for starring in films such as Seducing Mr. Perfect (2006), My Father (2007), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009), Shanghai Calling (2012) and The Last Stand (2013).
Life and career
Henney was born in Carson City, Michigan. Henney started modeling in the U.S. in 2001 and worked in France, Italy, Hong Kong and Taiwan while attending college. After his debut in South Korea with an advertisement for the Amore Pacific's cosmetic "Odyssey Sunrise", he became a spokesperson for commercials with Jeon Ji-hyun for Olympus cameras and Kim Tae-hee for Daewoo Electronics's Klasse air conditioners.
Despite speaking no Korean, Henney became a household name through the South Korean hit TV drama, My Name is Kim Sam Soon. He played the role of Dr. Henry Kim, a surgeon who is devotedly in love with Hee-jin (played by Jung Ryeo-won. Sam Soon was the most popular Korean drama in 2005; although Henney was starring as the supporting actor, his performance and look was widely noticed.
Henney then starred in another drama “Spring Waltz” in 2006. He later learned the language and appeared on a few variety shows, such as Family Outing. Henney was a part of an academic scandal in which many sources stated that he had an Economics degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago, while in actuality he had no college degree.
Henney starred in his first feature film in Korea, "Seducing Mr. Perfect." His second film, "My Father," won multiple awards in South Korea and was actually the first time in that country's history that a foreigner swept all the major cinema awards in the Best New Actor category.
In 2009, he portrayed Agent Zero in the film X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In the fall season of 2009, he played "Dr. David Lee" in the CBS television drama Three Rivers.
In 2010, Henney returned to South Korea television for KBS2's The Fugitive: Plan B, alongside Bi Rain and actress Lee Na Young.
Henney is signed with DNA Models in New York under the celebrity-division.
- NCIS: Los Angeles as undercover NCIS agent Paul Angelo; Season 5, Episode 21 (CBS, 2014)
- Revolution as Peter Garner; Season 2, Episodes 13, 14, and 15 (NBC, 2014)
- Hawaii Five-0 as Michael Noshimuri (CBS, 2012)
- The Fugitive: Plan B as Kai (KBS2, 2010)
- Three Rivers as David Lee (CBS, 2009)
- Spring Waltz as Philip (KBS2, 2006)
- Hello Franceska (guest appearance) (MBC, 2005)
- My Lovely Sam Soon as Dr. Henry Kim (MBC, 2005)
- The Spy: Undercover Operation as Ryan (2013)
- One Night Surprise as Bill (2013)
- The Last Stand as Agent Phil Hayes (2013)
- Shanghai Calling as Sam (2012)
- Papa as music producer "guest" (2012)
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine as Agent Zero (Hollywood debut, 2009)
- My Father as James Parker (2007)
- Seducing Mr. Perfect as Robin Heiden (2006)
TV Commercials / Advertisements
- Daewoo Gentra (GM Daewoo)
- Biotherm (Kwon Yuri)
- Asiana Airlines
- Minute Maid (Jeong Ryeo-won)
- Bean Pole International (Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Cyon (Kim Tae-hee and Hyun Bin)
- Coca-Cola (Zhang Ziyi)
- Olympus Camera (Jun Ji-hyun)
- HSBC Commercial Banking
- Taster's Choice
- LUX hairstylist (Stefanie Sun)
- Outback Steakhouse
- LG Electronics Xcanvas Flat Panel TV
- on DNA Model Management's website
- at the Internet Movie Database
- on Twitter