Anton and his brother Carl received their first violin instruction from their father, Johann. After their father’s death in 1757 they were taken on as students by Christian Cannabich, who had been a student of their father’s. Both were by this time already violinists in the famous Mannheimer Kapelle and participated in its development.
In 1770 with his brother Carl he visited Paris and established himself there. Between 1782 and 1789 he played in the King’s court orchestra in Versailles, and obtained the title “ordinaire de la musique du roi”. He was the violin teacher of Rodolphe Kreutzer.
Although his further history up to 1798 isn’t known, he probably died in Paris. He may have died as late as 1809.